Change the Bar Name Position
Preceden has two types of events: those with a duration (which we'll call bars) and those without a duration (which we'll call instants).
The following timeline has 3 events:
- Market Research, Customer Interviews, and Surveys - a bar
- Development - a bar
- Launch - an instant
Notice that Development is placed inside the bar because it fits within it, but Market Research, Customer Interviews, and Surveys is placed to the right of the bar because it does not fit within the bar.
This behavior (place bar names to the right of the bar if it doesn't fit within it) is the default, but it can be customized by going to Settings > Event Layout > Bar Name Position.
There are 5 possible options:
1. Inside the bar if the name fits, otherwise place it to the right
This is the default behavior that you can see in the image above.
2. Inside the bar if the name fits, otherwise add an ellipsis
3. Inside the bar if the name fits, otherwise clip it
Similar to above, except the parts of the name that don't fit are just hidden and no ellipsis is added.
4. Inside the bar if the name fits, otherwise completely hide it
Because the first event name is too long to fit within the green bar, Preceden hides the name completely from the timeline.
5. Always place event names to the right of the bar
With this option, Preceden will always place event names to the right of the bars even if they will fit. This give the positions more consistency, but can also make the timeline appear more cluttered because names that otherwise would have been placed in the bar are now to the right.
There's no right or wrong choice here, the option that you choose will ultimately be up to your personal taste and how you want long names the be handled on the timeline.